[Standards] About stream namespaces

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Mar 16 18:45:26 UTC 2007

Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> There's another subtlety to this. Sau you client defines a namespace
> prefix on the stream: stream, then uses it later to send me a message.
> Does the server change the prefix to make it palatable to my client?
> Does it jiust put the namespace declaration on the element?  We didn't
> want to jave to deal with those issues.

Plus the delights of c2s vs. s2s communications. I declare prefix foo:
between my client and server for namespace X, your server declares
prefix foo: between itself and my server for namespace Y, what does my
server do when I try to send a stanza to you with the foo: prefix for
namespace X? The solution would be hardcoding prefixes, but that way
lies madness...

/psa