[Standards] Entity Capabilities Woes

Daniel Noll daniel at noll.id.au
Sat Mar 17 02:17:24 UTC 2007

On Saturday 17 March 2007 03:57, Rachel Blackman wrote:
> Saying that because both are file transfer protocols they are the
> same feature is like saying that because AIM and XMPP are both
> messaging protocols, I can advertise them as one messaging network.
> Maybe from an end-user standpoint they look similar, but under the
> hood they are vastly different.

Wrong analogy.

The correct analogy for your example is that both implement the same feature
called "ability to chat to people."

> If, of course, I see some other client:
>
> node='http://sample.org/xmpp/caps' ver='2.1' ext='a'
>
> ...then I need to now query and cache http://sample.org/xmpp/caps#2.1
> and http://sample.org/xmpp/caps#a because 'a' here does not in any
> way, shape or form necessarily map to the 'a' above.

True enough.

So I suppose the workaround is to change the node each time that the meaning
of the exts change, since even if it's the same "client" as far as the user
can tell, it doesn't necessarily have to mean the client author won't change
the caps node URI.

One other thing I wonder about caps...

Suppose I make a bot which logs on today, pretending to be Psi 0.11 and
reporting no disco#features.  What happens when users cache that? :-)

Daniel