[Standards] Do we need STUN?

Evgeniy Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 05:46:35 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre пишет:

>> Right now XEP 176 (The ICE transport) says you should use disco to
>> locate a STUN server to use. Because you often need more than just a
>> single STUN server to get through NATs and firewalls, Google Talk uses
>> a simple "get" protocol to locate a STUN server, relay servers, and
>> relay server authentication:
>> http://code.google.com/apis/talk/jep_extensions/jingleinfo.html
>

> Yes, as previously discussed, we need to formalize something like
> that. Somehow it slipped my mind over the last few weeks of travel...
>
> Peter

Thanks a lot, Peter.
Also, I'd like to notice that STUN/TURN server configuration must be
completely the problem of XMPP administrators, not end-users. I think
there must *not* be an option like "Please, set the STUN server and
user/password for it" in client sofware :) I saw a lot of this in
SIP-software and I think it is terrible because such options are just
confusing end users.