[Standards] About stream namespaces

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Sun Mar 18 20:56:19 UTC 2007

On Sunday 18 March 2007 1:23 pm, Daniel Noll wrote:
> On Monday 19 March 2007 00:52, Robin Redeker wrote:
> > XMPP is also without TLS "basically" not well-formed, take a look at this
> > (client to server stream example from RFC3920 '6.5. Client-to-Server
> > Example'):
>
> <snip>
>
> Yep, SASL is an offender too.  I forgot about that one.  Back in the days
> when we used the old style of authentication, this issue didn't occur
> because it didn't start a new stream.  I wonder why we didn't decide to
> close the outer <stream:stream/>, actually.  It wouldn't have been a
> stretch to do so.

It wouldn't have been a stretch, but I don't know if it would be any more
correct.  You're basically scrapping the old document and starting a new
document.  If your parser is already network friendly (that is, at any moment
you might have to stop parsing and clean up, due to a socket error), then it
is just as capable of abruptly starting over with a new document.  I don't
view this as a protocol problem nor an implementation difficulty, although
I'd be interested in hearing about implementation issues if people are having
them.

-Justin