[Standards] XEP 0174 (Link Local Messaging) Feedback

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Mon Mar 19 22:36:25 UTC 2007

Great XEP, solving a cool problem that enables fun stuff! J

The discovery of users using broadcast DNS seems like it's being done
the hard way. I'm not terribly familiar with IPv6, but what I do know
indicates there are IPv6 features that would go a long way towards
solving this problem. Anyone here know IPv6 well enough to say yay or
nay to this? I do understand that this is already running in the wild,
and that the adoption of IPv6 Features, even if a good match, may not
make sense....

Port Choice is going to be difficult given today's firewalls - everyone
runs a filewall, and as a result, nothing will work right. Alluding to
the need to use UPnP to drill a few local holes would be a good thing.

The International Considerations in the XEP seem very strange to me. The
XEP mentions: "However, as mentioned above, the "machine-name" portion
of the <Instance> portion MUST NOT contain characters outside the
US-ASCII range.". I'm curious as to why this machine name wouldn't
follow standard IDNA rules and be punycoded. This would allow Unicode
characters to work just fine, and keep all our International friends
happy.

--

Chris Mullins