[Standards] certification etc.

Fletcher, Boyd C. CIV US USJFCOM JFL J9935 Boyd.Fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Wed Mar 21 00:11:59 UTC 2007

Unless you are running over low bandwidth communications like SATCOM or
Cellular Modems. We use lots of high latency low b/w communications links.
TLS does not work well in those environments which is why we use straight
ZLIB and are looking at supporting efficient XML.

The new Efficient XML specification from W3.org (not officially out yet, but
will be soon) will offer better compression that zlib with less CPU
resources used. It can even make parsing the XML faster in some cases.

So in places like villages in  Africa, South America, or Asia  that lack T1
lines and Fiber connections the use of compression can make XMPP a viable
technology for collaboration. Without compression they simply do not have
the b/w (which is often shared with many users) to use collaboration
technologies like XMPP. So to me, that sounds like a pretty big
functionality addition.

boyd