[Standards] certification etc.

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 21 15:23:47 UTC 2007

Stephen Pendleton wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 01:57:20AM +0100, Matthias Wimmer wrote:

>> But I don't think that just because something as an application does
>> not
>> need that it gets added to the basic IM suite. IMO there should be only
>> the smallest set of protocols we think they have to be supported in any
>> case. If we add to many protocols to the basic IM suite it will result,
>> the importance of this list gets lost.

 > I also agree with the idea of removing the RECOMMENDED items and just
 > keeping the REQUIRED items. For example, to meet "Basic IM" you would
 > need to implement XMPP CORE, XMPP IM, and Service Discovery. Perhaps
 > move the RECOMMENDED items to the next tier as REQUIRED items (in
this > case "Intermediate IM").

I think we disagree about the purpose of protocol suites and
certification levels. Here is my view.

When someone interacts with an application that is "XMPP Basic 2008"
compliant, that person knows the application will support core routing,
rosters, presence, and service discovery (both static and dynamic via
entity capabilities). All of those are required for XMPP Basic
compliance, but nothing else is (and nothing is recommended or optional).

When someone interacts with an application that is "XMPP Intermediate
2008" compliant, that person knows the application will support all the
basic stuff plus whatever we defined in XEP-0117 (MUC, chat states, and
so on). Again, all of those are required for XMPP Intermediate compliance.

If we define other compliance levels -- Advanced, Mobile, Media,
Security, or whatever -- then those too will build on the lower levels
(though there may be "branches" here -- both Media and Advanced may be
layered on top of Intermediate or whatever).

But it's not as if Basic is everything required, Intermediate is
everything recommended, and Advanced is everything optional. For each
level, what's defined in the relevant protocol suite will be required.

Or so it seems to me.

XMPP Standards Foundation