[Standards] certification etc.

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 21 22:50:24 UTC 2007

Remko Tronçon wrote:
>> And Intermediate 2008 would be:
>> Everything in Basic 2008 AND
>> XEP-0077: In-Band Registration REQUIRED
>> XEP-0078: Non-SASL Authentication REQUIRED for servers; NOT
>> RECOMMENDED for
>> clients
>
> The NOT RECOMMENDED can be dropped?

Ian Paterson has pointed out before that non-SASL authentication is
quite a useful protocol, in that it enables coders to quickly connect to
a server for testing purposes (wow, I'm connected, XMPP is easy, now I
can figure out how this SASL stuff works). So I think it would always be
good for server codebases to implement it (perhaps as an add-on module)
and for libraries to include support for it. But at some point (2008,
2009?) we may want to discourage production services from deploying it.

XMPP Standards Foundation