[Standards] pubsub/pep auto-creation

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Thu Mar 22 10:02:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 08:49 +0100, Remko Tronçon wrote:
> > so in practice it seems to me that clients are just always going to do
> > publish+configure.
>
> Indeed, that's the idea.
>
> > And that seems a bit excessive to me.
>
> Why? Rachel pointed out that, if you don't do that, you have to check
> the configuration *every* time you publish an event, and possibly
> modify the node. It gets even worse: between the check and the
> publish, some other resource might have made your node public for a
> public item it is publishing, and you're publishing something private
> to a public node.
>
> I'm still convinced that specifying the 'how' (public/private)
> together with the 'what' (event) is easier to grasp, easier to
> implement, and avoids a lot of trouble. I'm also throwing in my
> standard excuse of 'stream compression will take care of the extra
> traffic' (although actually, it takes a lot more traffic to publish
> events 100% correctly if you have to check configuration every time).
>
> Putting the 'how' with the 'what' also makes a few (maybe not yet so
> frequent) use cases a lot easier:
> - Whenever I play a tune of the backstreet boys, I only want my close
> family to know about this. So, whenever a tune of the backstreet boys
> comes up, I just say 'publish this item for my friends only'.
> - Whenever I leave the building, I want to stop sending my geoloc to
> my colleagues. So, depending on the geoloc, I simply say 'publish this
> item for non-colleauges'.
> I'm sure these sound far fetched, but I'm trying to explain that it's
> easier to talk about publicness and privateness of items, than to talk
> about the publicness and privateness of the nodes you are publishing
> items to, especially if they change dynamically.

Exactly this argument was what I was waiting for to come up eventually.
If you want this kind of control over what is being published, you are
desiring something that goes beyond simple publishing. You want finer
grained access control and filtering and other magic on item payload.

These seem to be more generic publish-subscribe features to me, and were
the use cases that were deemed too complex when we started out this
whole PEP thing in the first place.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm