[Standards] pubsub/pep auto-creation

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 10:09:58 UTC 2007

On 22 Mar 2007, at 06:34, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>  it seems to me that clients are just always going to do publish
> +configure. And that seems a bit excessive to me.

Indeed, they'll always do publish+configure, but this is hugely
better than the alternative, as Rachel and Remko have said. The
alternative is that every time you want to publish to a non-default-
config node, you must check if it exists, potentially create it,
check the config, potentially change the config, *, publish. Doing it
that way, you /still/ have the potential for the state to change at
the point labelled * and your private data ending up being sent to
the public. And you have to do this /every/ time you publish. This is
more processing and logic for the server, more processing and logic
for the client, more bandwidth for the network and more delay for the
user before their request is processed. Every time.

We need publish+configure.

/K

--
Kevin Smith