[Standards] pubsub/pep auto-creation

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 11:06:19 UTC 2007

On 22 Mar 2007, at 11:01, Mridul wrote:
> I dont understand the private data becoming public part - that is
> going
> to happen whether you do publish + configure , or the alternative when
> there are two different clients going to change configuration on
> the node.

The problem is when you publish to a node with an unknown
configuration, not when you purposefully change the configuration of
a node without changing the data.

If I sign in with client X and Y.

Client X does first publish, checks it exists, it doesn't, creates it
etc, publishes to node, and sets public.

Client Y does a publish of data it intends to be private, doesn't get
an error (node not found), so assumes everything is fine and dandy,
when in fact the node has already been created and set to a different
configuration.

And this can happen every time you publish, that you need to check
that the node hasn't been configured in a different way (potentially
since you last checked the config and published).

So the problem isn't that some other resource will come along later
and reveal something you've already published in private by changing
the config, but that they will change the config when they publish
something public on the node, and that you'll then 'not notice' when
publishing something private.

/K

--
Kevin Smith