[Standards] pubsub/pep auto-creation

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Mar 22 20:47:54 UTC 2007

Pedro Melo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mar 22, 2007, at 5:40 PM, Ralph Meijer wrote:
>
>> Right. So as we seem to agree that PEP should cater simple use cases, I
>> don't see how node configurations should change potentially every time
>> there is going to be a new item being published.
>
> That's not the point. It's not a question of changing configurations per
> item published. It is a question of making sure the configuration is
> correct when you publish something.
>
> I want my Tunes to be only visible to my roster. The
> lowest-number-of-stanzas way to do it is to just send the configuration
> on every publish. Because the alternative is to query the node and check
> the configuration before each publish. More stanzas, and open to race
> conditions with other resources.

I'm curious -- how do "you" know that you want your tunes to be visible
only to people in your roster? That is, how does your client know your
preferences? Are they stored locally by the client on the device? Given
that people are worried about multiple resource situations, does each
client store that preference locally? What about web (or other) clients
that don't have local storage? Will the client prompt the user once per
session (or per-publish) about the preferred visibility?

To me, it seems easier to set that up once via node config ("I want my
tunes info to be shown to anyone in my roster") and not revisit it. That
way the preference is stored at the PEP server and clients don't have to
store the preference in some non-standard way. But maybe I'm missing
something here...

XMPP Standards Foundation