[Standards] pubsub/pep auto-creation

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Thu Mar 22 21:30:57 UTC 2007

>>> Right. So as we seem to agree that PEP should cater simple use
>>> cases, I
>>> don't see how node configurations should change potentially every
>>> time
>>> there is going to be a new item being published.
>> That's not the point. It's not a question of changing
>> configurations per item published. It is a question of making sure
>> the configuration is correct when you publish something.
>> I want my Tunes to be only visible to my roster. The lowest-number-
>> of-stanzas way to do it is to just send the configuration on every
>> publish. Because the alternative is to query the node and check
>> the configuration before each publish. More stanzas, and open to
>> race conditions with other resources.
>
> I'm curious -- how do "you" know that you want your tunes to be
> visible only to people in your roster? That is, how does your
> client know your preferences? Are they stored locally by the client
> on the device? Given that people are worried about multiple
> resource situations, does each client store that preference
> locally? What about web (or other) clients that don't have local
> storage? Will the client prompt the user once per session (or per-
> publish) about the preferred visibility?
>
> To me, it seems easier to set that up once via node config ("I want
> my tunes info to be shown to anyone in my roster") and not revisit
> it. That way the preference is stored at the PEP server and clients
> don't have to store the preference in some non-standard way. But
> maybe I'm missing something here...

If publish+configure is in there with configure optional (as has been
suggested), then both methods work.  For something you want
restricted to a specific configuration, you include the configure
with the publish.  For something where you just trust the node is set
up right, you don't.  Flexible protocol: the best of both worlds! :)