[Standards] pubsub/pep auto-creation

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Thu Mar 22 23:09:11 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Mar 22, 2007, at 8:47 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Pedro Melo wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On Mar 22, 2007, at 5:40 PM, Ralph Meijer wrote:
>>> Right. So as we seem to agree that PEP should cater simple use
>>> cases, I
>>> don't see how node configurations should change potentially every
>>> time
>>> there is going to be a new item being published.
>> That's not the point. It's not a question of changing
>> configurations per item published. It is a question of making sure
>> the configuration is correct when you publish something.
>> I want my Tunes to be only visible to my roster. The lowest-number-
>> of-stanzas way to do it is to just send the configuration on every
>> publish. Because the alternative is to query the node and check
>> the configuration before each publish. More stanzas, and open to
>> race conditions with other resources.
>
> I'm curious -- how do "you" know that you want your tunes to be
> visible only to people in your roster? That is, how does your
> client know your preferences? Are they stored locally by the client
> on the device? Given that people are worried about multiple
> resource situations, does each client store that preference
> locally? What about web (or other) clients that don't have local
> storage? Will the client prompt the user once per session (or per-
> publish) about the preferred visibility?

It's a preference, stored for now with jabber:iq:private. We would
like to move it to PEP eventually. A private node.

> To me, it seems easier to set that up once via node config ("I want
> my tunes info to be shown to anyone in my roster") and not revisit
> it. That way the preference is stored at the PEP server and clients
> don't have to store the preference in some non-standard way. But
> maybe I'm missing something here...

I think what me and others are saying is that we don't trust the node
to keep its configuration, and prefer to send the configuration
parameters on each publish to make sure they are correct.

if I only connect with my usual client, that would be wasteful, I
agree. But if we start using multiple clients/resources  (PC, Mobile
phone, agents) then trusting the node configuration to stick is tricky.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo
Jabber ID: melo at simplicidade.org