[Standards] pubsub/pep auto-creation

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri Mar 23 07:58:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 23:09 +0000, Pedro Melo wrote:
> I think what me and others are saying is that we don't trust the node
> to keep its configuration, and prefer to send the configuration
> parameters on each publish to make sure they are correct.
>
> if I only connect with my usual client, that would be wasteful, I
> agree. But if we start using multiple clients/resources  (PC, Mobile
> phone, agents) then trusting the node configuration to stick is tricky.

Like Peter, I don't understand this. Why wouldn't the configuration
stick? Are we now assuming programming errors or deployment issues to
guide our protocol design?

>From my point of view, where I assume there is no auto creation
whatsoever, you begin where one of your clients will want to start
publishing an item to some node. There are now two possibilities:

 1) There is no node yet.
 2) The node exists.

In the first case, the client will get an error back on the first
publish, condition item-not-found. You can now go ahead create the node,
set the desired configuration (probably gotten from user input right
then, you need to do that at some point anyway) and republish.

In the second case, there'll be no error in the publish and it will be
published with the previously set configuration stored by the server.

In both cases, your notifications will go out as you have set at first.
If you later decide to change the configuration, that is most probably a
user initiated action, and not a very frequent one. I find it very
unlikely that the changing configuration is problematic for the items
published from another resource.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm