[Standards] pubsub/pep auto-creation

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Fri Mar 23 19:41:48 UTC 2007

> Beat up on the bad developers!

If one clients wants to publish tune information to everybody instead
of to subscribed presences, should we beat them up? If so, we should
start specifying for every profile of PEP exactly what clients MUST
use as configuration for nodes that are created. Of course, this
should never *ever* change over time either. Also, if we start
assuming that clients are doing it correctly, and one of them does it
differently (by accident or on purpose), there will be no client in
the world that will be able to fix the mistake (there will be no UIs
for changing node configurations).

I really don't see why there is so much resistance for allowing
publish+configure, despite all the convincing arguments from many
people. It feels like the whole PubSub story all over again: PubSub
doesn't work for IM clients, it took client developers years to
convince that we needed something better. Now, the same people are
battling each other, trying to convince that separating node
configuration and item publishing doesn't work for several reasons
either. Of course, this deviates from the original 'perfect' PubSub
spec again, and I think this is the reason why we get so much
resistance. Maybe we should make PEP something that has nothing to do
with PubSub anymore, such that we don't step on other people's toes,
and client developers can finally get the functionality they want.

cheers,
Remko