[Standards] negative presence

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Fri Mar 23 23:03:10 UTC 2007

Hi,

I wonder if anybody has an idea about support for negative presences
in the servers all around. I´ve tested with wildfire and ejabberd.
Wildfire forwards messages without a resource to a negative priority
resource (I'm reporting this as a bug), ejabberd does not. Anybody
tested with other servers?

I'm also worried about clients. What would be the proper way for a
client to deal with a negative presence? right now I think that he
should not show the person as online, nor should he allow any chat
messages to be sent directly to the resource. After all, I interpret
negative priority as a "no chat" indication, right?

The reason I'm asking is that we are starting to test agents, small
task-oriented applications that work over XMPP to accomplish a simple
task. They use the same JID as my main account. Think about an
assistant, that receives meeting requests, checks you calendar and
accepts or denies the request based on user defined criteria. Or a
content management system that synchronizes all his content to all
the elements of the team via XMPP.

Thanks in advance,
--
Pedro Melo