[Standards] pubsub/pep auto-creation

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Sat Mar 24 04:28:19 UTC 2007

> We should make user interfaces as easy as possible - even if they
> are rarely used. The flow you describe forces the user to provide
> input in a second dialog that they probably weren't expecting to
> pop-up on their screen after the round trip to the server. This is
> more irritating and less efficient for the user than if a "Publish
> Publicly" checkbox had been included on the first dialog
> (completely eliminating the need for the second dialog).

I'm actually going to disagree on this one; the protocol and the
dialogs do not need to directly coincide.  It's perfectly possible to
have the 'Publish Publicly' checkbox in your client's publish-
information form, and still do the round-trip check-config-and-
replace-if-necessary.

I still think publish+configure makes things simpler, as it means a
PEP publish stanza is sort of 'fire and forget,' no need to do
multiple exchanges with the server, so I'm still in the pro camp
there.  But even if you do the multiple exchanges, that doesn't mean
you need multiple dialogs.  The protocol does not need to determine
the UI, necessarily.

(I'm not hugely zealous about the publish+configure, I just do think
it's a sensible addition.  If it fails to pass muster, eh, so be it;
PEP isn't fundamentally /flawed/ without it, but this makes things a
little smoother.)