[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: STUN Server Discovery forJingle

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Sat Mar 24 23:26:40 UTC 2007

Peter,

 * Shouldn't the port value be optional? STUN typically operates at a
well-known port of 3478. If no port is specified, it would be a good
idea for the client to check DNS SRV for the host first, then use the
default port if that fails. From
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/STUN:

"STUN may use DNS SRV records to find STUN servers attached to a domain.
The service name is _stun._udp or _stun._tcp"

 * Should we run a public STUN server at xmpp.org?

Also, what do you think of making this a more generic public address
discovery XEP rather than specific to STUN? When an XMPP server is
connected to the public internet, it will obviously already know your
public IP address. That feature combined with STUN makes for a very easy
way to gather a complete candidate list. I'm pretty sure Thiago sent you
a private email with some specific protocol syntax ideas about this.

Finally, a more detailed discussion of why public address discovery is
needed for media exchanges might make this XEP more accessible to
people.

Regards,
Matt