[Standards] pubsub/pep auto-creation

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Mar 26 21:33:02 UTC 2007

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Ian Paterson wrote:
>>> The example being used on this list has been of a node that may be
>>> legitimately configured to be "public" or "private". For example,
>>> imagine a "Home Address" node. The client will probably present the
>>> user interface for the node in a dialog box with the address fields,
>>> and with a checkbox "Publish my Home Address publicly".
>>
>> Why? You don't need to configure the node every time you publish and
>> you don't need to request the config every time. Just assume that the
>> user set it up according to their preferences the first time around. I
>> told the PEP service that I wanted my geolocation info to go to my
>> Friends group, so don't please bother me about it again -- that
>> decision was made and I'm quite happy about it, thank you. If this is
>> the first time, you get an error flow and prompt the user to answer
>> the question "who should be able to see your geolocation information"?
>> The user answers that question once and never fiddles with it again
>> (unless they really want to)
>
> With a node that almost never changes (e.g. a "Home Address" node), the
> first time will often be the only time, so we should care about the
> first time.
>
> We should make user interfaces as easy as possible - even if they are
> rarely used. The flow you describe forces the user to provide input in a
> second dialog that they probably weren't expecting to pop-up on their
> screen after the round trip to the server.

Hmm. Does it? Why can't the client eat the error flow and handle it
seamlessly from the user perspective?

I guess that would require the client to know which PEP nodes are
already associated with the user's account. Which would require the
client to query the root node on login. Which I take it is something
that client developers want to avoid?

XMPP Standards Foundation