[Standards] RFC 3920, 10.2/10.3: subdomain routing rules

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Mar 27 02:02:29 UTC 2007

Tony Finch wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Pedro Melo wrote:
>> My domain is example.com, but I want to run a special server at
>> presence.example.com for a special task. Right now, from my reading
>> (please correct me if I'm wrong), the server example.com cannot use s2s
>> to send stanzas to presence.example.com,
>
> This is a known erratum: see
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/xmppwg/2005-November/002345.html

Please refer to rfc3920bis, which contains all the errata and
corrections and clarifications we have discussed so far:

http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3920bis-01.html

In particular, Section 11.2 says:

"If the hostname of the domain identifier portion of the JID contained
in the 'to' attribute does not match one of the configured hostnames of
the server itself or a configured subdomain thereof, the server SHOULD
route the stanza to the foreign domain (subject to local service
provisioning and security policies regarding inter-domain communication,
since such communication is OPTIONAL)."

And Section 11.3 says:

"If the hostname of the domain identifier portion of the JID contained
in the 'to' attribute matches a subdomain of one of the configured
hostnames of the server itself, the server MUST either process the
stanza itself or route the stanza to a specialized service that is
responsible for that subdomain (if the subdomain is configured), or
return an error to the sender (if the subdomain is not configured)."

If those need to be corrected, do let me know. :)

XMPP Standards Foundation