[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Metacontacts

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 10:49:04 UTC 2007

On 27 Mar 2007, at 11:31, Pedro Melo wrote:
> I wonder how do the authors think about naming this meta-contact. I
> would think that a

Well, what we decided was that it made sense to name the meta-contact
the same way you would name the highest-order member, perhaps an
implementation note is in order here. Since these things span
multiple accounts, and we don't require all accounts to be online all
the time, it would be a bit messy to try and control things like name
across multiple accounts, some of which might be missing, and it
duplicates the information we already have in the roster/vcard etc.

We came to the current proposal as a result of various issues brought
up on the list with the previous metacontacts submission a bit over a
year ago, and tried to make this the simplest, most resilient, spec
possible (Keep It Simple, Smith).

/K

--
Kevin Smith