[Standards] RFC 3920, 10.2/10.3: subdomain routing rules

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Mar 27 14:27:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Please refer to rfc3920bis, which contains all the errata and corrections and
> clarifications we have discussed so far:
>
> http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3920bis-01.html

Why treat subdomains specially? Are special services required to be
subdomains of the server's main domain? Can't a server be MUC-only (say)
or have two domains users.example.com and muc.example.com?

The way I look at it is: A server has a number of configured domains.
These may be services (e.g. MUC) or virtual domains for normal user JIDs.
They need not have any textual relationship with each other.

There are a couple of comments, in sections 3.2 and C.4, which seem to
imply that routing of subdomains was special in pre-SRV Jabber, so would
I be right to guess that this is a historical artefact?

Tony.
PLYMOUTH: EAST BACKING NORTH 3 OR 4, OCCASIONALLY 5. SLIGHT OCCASIONALLY
MODERATE. SHOWERS LATER. MODERATE OR GOOD, OCCASIONALLY POOR.