[Standards] certification etc.

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Tue Mar 27 20:41:02 UTC 2007

>> so does anyone have an objection with making stream compression
>> required for
>> the intermediate suite?
>
> Well stream compression isn't practical for some (otherwise
> intermediate-compliant) clients running in constrained
> environments. For example, Flash clients. So, if stream compression
> was added to the requirements, there would probably need to be an
> exception for constrained clients.

I think stream compression should only be a required element on the
server side, honestly, for the sake of clients that can't do
encryption and are bandwidth limited.  Clients in general are better
off doing TLS where available, rather than doing compressed
unencrypted streams.

I'm fine with supporting compressed streams, myself, I just think
it's sort of redundant to make it a requirement, given TLS.