[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: STUN Server Discovery for Jingle

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Mar 27 22:10:47 UTC 2007

Mircea Bardac wrote:
> On Saturday 24 March 2007 00:17:56 XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>
>> Title: STUN Server Discovery for Jingle
>>
>> Abstract: This document specifies methods for discovering STUN servers for
>> use in negotiation of certain Jingle transport methods.

> I might have been influenced by the whole PEP discussion... but... after
> reading this short XEP, I couldn't help imagining how this information can be
> published via PEP. A server-managed PEP-node, where clients willing to
> discover such could subscribe be notified.

Heh, true. No need to have a specialized protocol where the server needs
to keep track of who has "registered" for STUN server "events". Make it
an open-access node so that anyone can request the last event. Etc. But
you wouldn't get any kind of token from the XMPP server that way, only
the STUN server host+port.

/psa

XMPP Standards Foundation