[Standards] Jingle and RTCP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 28 03:20:09 UTC 2007

Lauri Kaila wrote:
> Hi Aki,
>
> 2007/3/26, Aki Niemi <aki.niemi at nokia.com>:
>>
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-and-rtcp-mux-04.txt
>>

>> It is a proposed update to RFC3550.
>
> Thanks for that link. Would using that mean something like this:
>
> <description>
> <payload-type id='100' name='rtcp-mux'/>
> </description>?
>
> However, is there a reason why RFC3550-style RTCP shouldn't be
> possible with XEP-0177?

I don't think so. We have a note in XEP-0166 about RTCP but it needs to
be defined more fully. IIRC, in our very old discussions about Jingle we
thought that you would have a separate content type for RTCP vs. RTP,
but we have not revisited the issue in quite a while. We'll need to look
at the link that Aki posted and figure out what some of the best
practices among people who have implemented RTCP more widely than we have.

XMPP Standards Foundation