[Standards] Client Acknowledgement of Subscription State Change Notifications

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 28 04:25:32 UTC 2007

Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2007, at 4:59 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> Ralph Meijer wrote:
>>> It seems to me that no information is lost since the roster reflects the
>>> actual situation?
>>> Like Ian, I have always found it weird that 'unsubscribed' and
>>> 'subscribed' have grown acks/denies in XMPP. I know that jabberd 2
>>> implements this 'feature' and it seriously messed up some clients so I
>>> had do disable it with a patch.
>>
>> Yes, it's weird (and yes, I'm partly responsible for the weirdness). I
>> think it would be good to take a hard look at these acks and figure
>> out if we want to retain them in rfc3921bis.
 >
 > If we do, I'd like to make sure that if clients continue to send the
 > acks, they are no-ops.

Agreed.

 > If we still want the functionality,

I don't see many people jumping up and down in favor.

Who has implemented this? It seems that jabberd2 did, but people
disabled it. And I don't know of any clients that implement it. Just
that would tend to disqualify it (can't be tested since it's not
implemented).

 > I can imagine a couple of new
 > presence types that were explicitly acks;

Presence via IQ? ;-)

 > of course the server would
 > have to declare support for them somehow.  As well, it would be cool
 > if clients that didn't know about the new presence types a) didn't
 > receive them and b) didn't have to send acks to turn off the
 > notifications.

For sure.

 > Maybe a stream feature, and an IQ to turn it on?

Possible. If we decide to keep this functionality.

XMPP Standards Foundation