[Standards] s2s and gracelessly broken streams

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Wed Mar 28 05:09:51 UTC 2007

Justin Karneges wrote:
[...]
> The best solution, as far as I can tell, would be for the server to perform
> presence probes on a periodic basis, rather than only on client login.  IMO,
> it is rather silly that the client user can "force" the effect by doing a log
> off/on.  I think it would be a lot better if the server handled this
> transparently, by probing routinely, and then the client should always "just
> work".

The problem with that is that replies to the probe are optional. So If
the remote contact is assumed to be online and the remote server chooses
not to reply to probes if the contact is offline you have a problem.

The assumption behind this is that your contacts are offline most of the
time anyway - you dont need a new "xy is offline" every day when xy has
not logged in for weeks.

Philipp