[Standards] Client Acknowledgement of Subscription State Change Notifications

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:32:15 UTC 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 10:25 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > If we still want the functionality,
>
> I don't see many people jumping up and down in favor.

I'll check with some people here; we had one customer at one point
who thought this with the best idea ever, but I was never really
convinced.

> Who has implemented this? It seems that jabberd2 did, but people
> disabled it. And I don't know of any clients that implement it.
> Just that would tend to disqualify it (can't be tested since it's
> not implemented).

It's been in XCP for a long time, as well as all of the Jabber, Inc.
clients and Exodus.

> > I can imagine a couple of new
> > presence types that were explicitly acks;
>
> Presence via IQ? ;-)

Well, at least (un)subscribe(d).

<iq type='set'>
   <presence xmlns='urn:xmpp:presence' type='subscribe'
jid='stpeter at jabber.org'/>
</iq>

Oo.  There's no reason why servers couldn't implement this in
parallel with the old protocol.

> > Maybe a stream feature, and an IQ to turn it on?
>
> Possible. If we decide to keep this functionality.

I assert that clients that really cared about this functionality
could persist a copy of the roster, and compare the one that they get
on login with the persisted version, doing user alerts on any
differences that they cared about.

--
Joe Hildebrand