[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Metacontacts

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:32:35 UTC 2007

I like this a lot.  Really funny Office Space references.  I can
think of a couple of quick additions:

- (nit) In section 5, each of the sections should specify a re-iqset
after the modification is made.
- Would a syntax like this be easier for people to deal with?

<iq type='result' id='get1'>
   <query xmlns='jabber:iq:private'>
     <storage xmlns='storage:metacontacts'>
         <jid order='1'>mike.bolton at raplovers.org</jid>
         <jid order='2'>mike at initech.com</jid>
         <jid order='1'>tom at jump-to-conclusions.com</jid>
         <jid order='2'>samir at initech.com</jid>
     </storage>
   </query>
</iq>

- It might be nice to include some hints for clients to help deal
with out-of-sync lists on different accounts.  For example, a timestamp:

<iq type='set' id='set2'>
   <query xmlns='jabber:iq:private'>
     <storage xmlns='storage:metacontacts'>
       <stamp>1969-07-21T02:56:15Z</stamp>
     </storage>
   </query>
</iq>

The stamp could be in an attribute, but it's more in the spirit of
XEP-49 to put it inside the element.  I tested XCP, and we'll
preserve the attribute; I don't know about other implementations.

When a client is connected to one or more accounts and publishes the
same list to each, the timestamp MUST be the same for all of the
related sets.  If the client receives multiple results with different
timestamps, it MUST create a list by applying the lists in order of
timestamp, and then SHOULD re-publish the resulting list to all
accounts.