[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Metacontacts

Yann Le Boulanger asterix at lagaule.org
Wed Mar 28 17:56:19 UTC 2007

Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> I like this a lot.  Really funny Office Space references.  I can think
> of a couple of quick additions:
>
> - (nit) In section 5, each of the sections should specify a re-iqset
> after the modification is made.

I don't understand :/

> - Would a syntax like this be easier for people to deal with?
>
> <iq type='result' id='get1'>
>   <query xmlns='jabber:iq:private'>
>     <storage xmlns='storage:metacontacts'>
>         <jid order='1'>mike.bolton at raplovers.org</jid>
>         <jid order='2'>mike at initech.com</jid>
>         <jid order='1'>tom at jump-to-conclusions.com</jid>
>         <jid order='2'>samir at initech.com</jid>
>     </storage>
>   </query>
> </iq>

I don't think it's easier, cause this is multi-account. so you still
have to parse answer from several accounts.

> - It might be nice to include some hints for clients to help deal with
> out-of-sync lists on different accounts.  For example, a timestamp:
>
> <iq type='set' id='set2'>
>   <query xmlns='jabber:iq:private'>
>     <storage xmlns='storage:metacontacts'>
>       <stamp>1969-07-21T02:56:15Z</stamp>
>     </storage>
>   </query>
> </iq>

There can't be out-of-sync lists: on each server you store data only for
contacts in this server. This way data are not duplicated, and you don't
put a part of your contact list on another server (privacy issue).