[Standards] s2s and gracelessly broken streams

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Mar 28 18:08:59 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 10:09 pm, Philipp Hancke wrote:
> Justin Karneges wrote:
> [...]
>
> > The best solution, as far as I can tell, would be for the server to
> > perform presence probes on a periodic basis, rather than only on client
> > login.  IMO, it is rather silly that the client user can "force" the
> > effect by doing a log off/on.  I think it would be a lot better if the
> > server handled this transparently, by probing routinely, and then the
> > client should always "just work".
>
> The problem with that is that replies to the probe are optional. So If
> the remote contact is assumed to be online and the remote server chooses
> not to reply to probes if the contact is offline you have a problem.
>
> The assumption behind this is that your contacts are offline most of the
> time anyway - you dont need a new "xy is offline" every day when xy has
> not logged in for weeks.

Right.  However, I think for this procedure we'd only want to probe against
servers that we are no longer connected to, and only after some timeout.  If
the remote server is down, then the local server can return a presence error
to the client.  That one is easy.  If the remote server is still up, but the
remote contact has since gone offline, then the local server should have a
timeout, whereby if no presence is received then the remote contact is
assumed to be offline (I believe this is the only time a remote server would
choose not to reply to a probe?).

I'd propose, then, having 2 timeouts:
  1) time to try probing (e.g. 10* minutes)
  2) time to give up waiting for a reply, assume offline (e.g. 2* mins later)

* Feel free to replace with better numbers.

-Justin