[Standards] Client Acknowledgement of Subscription State Change Notifications

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 20:04:41 UTC 2007

Hi Joe,

Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Who has implemented this? It seems that jabberd2 did, but people
>> disabled it. And I don't know of any clients that implement it. Just
>> that would tend to disqualify it (can't be tested since it's not
>> implemented).
>
> It's been in XCP for a long time, as well as all of the Jabber, Inc.
> clients and Exodus.

Yes, XCP is the only server I've seen implement this functionality.
Client developers who want to "play nicely" with current versions of XCP
have to add the extra code to their client (something we chose to do).

[In fact I was initially considering reporting this XCP feature as a
bug! But then checked the RFC and realised that XCP behaves perfectly
legally. So I updated my code, and reported the "curiosity" in the RFC
to this list instead.]

>> > If we still want the functionality,
>>
>> I don't see many people jumping up and down in favor.
>
> I'll check with some people here; we had one customer at one point who
> thought this with the best idea ever, but I was never really convinced.

It would seem to be in the interests of XCP to drop the functionality,
since the server will become more compatible with the (many) clients
that do not support that part of the RFC.

If the architects of XCP are happy to drop the old functionality, then I
guess we will then have full consensus. :-)

- Ian