[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Metacontacts

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Wed Mar 28 22:02:14 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Mar 27, 2007, at 1:56 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:

> Pedro Melo wrote:
>> I mean, if you use the highest order member and you only have a
>> partial view of your accounts, you might end up with a contact
>> that changes group and name every time one of your accounts goes
>> online and offline.
>
> That's true, but it's not a problem; it's a user choice how they
> name and group these contacts - if they want the different members
> of a metacontact to have different names, and different groups,
> then surely it's right to honour this?

Ok, fair enough.

>> Also: how do you plan to take in account the <show> element? Do
>> you keep the order per 'show' value?
>
> Which <show> element?

Rephrasing the question: have you given any thoughs about order and
the <show> status of each accounts?

For example, if account N order 1 is dnd and account M order 2 is
chat, should we switch the order and use M first?

>> We struggle with some of this with our client. We support meta-
>> contacts (our protocol uses only information available in the
>> roster) for quite some time now, but we are trying to improve the
>> reaction to presence changes.
>
> Presence changes between the multiple accounts of a user, or of
> contacts?

presence change of all the accounts of one of our meta-contact.

See example above.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo