[Standards] Re: Inband Images

Adam Nemeth aadaam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 23:00:11 UTC 2007

On 3/29/07, Ian Paterson <ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm afraid that the security constraints implemented by all browsers
> prevent Web clients creating regular images or saving any files.
>
> The only option would be to HTTP POST the data to a script running on
> the HTTP server which then publishes it from an agreed HTTP URL
> (allowing the client to download the image as a file). That sounds like
> a lot of work, but Web client authors are used to that sort of thing.

Chesspark just does this for avatars, doesn't?

But avatars are used mostly-once per session, a custom emoticon could
be in every second line of conversation, so at least the webaddress of
the generated picture should be cacheable - therefore it shouldn't be
an immediate response to the POST query.

It's also an overhead - at least in the custom emoticon part - that if
we send always the same file in nearly every line of the chat, even
when they're small.. Is this the right way to handle such?

--
Aadaam <aadaam at gmail.com>