[Standards] certification etc.

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Thu Mar 29 14:54:27 UTC 2007

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Hi Peter!
>
> Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
>
>> Right. Unfortunately, it seems that some (many? most?) TLS
>> implementations do not support the compression option, so even if the
>> XMPP client and XMPP server support TLS, if their underlying TLS
>> library lacks support for compression there's not much they can do.
>

> OpenSSL and GnuTLS do support compression ... and I guess they are the
> most used TLS implementations.

openssl based servers (old jabberd1, jabberd2, ejabberd, psyced)
send SSLv2 handshakes in the s2s (client) case and can therefore not use
compression :-(
( http://readlist.com/lists/openssl.org/openssl-users/0/4223.html )

API problem or deployment problem -  accepting only TLSv1 client hellos
would be a good thing (TM), but afaics dramatically reduces the number
of servers you can talk to currently).