[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Metacontacts

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Thu Mar 29 15:15:10 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Mar 29, 2007, at 9:25 AM, yann wrote:

> Ian Paterson a écrit :
>> Yes, this XEP should be written on top of PEP. As well as fixing
>> the synchronization issues, that will also allow each meta contact
>> to be a separate item (see XEP-0189 for examples).
>> As soon as we have a rough consensus about publish+configure then
>> I hope iq:private will be depricated.
>
> Why using PEP here will help ? Isn't PEP used to publish some
> information to other comtoncts ? In this case we'll never publish
> our metacontact list to others ...

I think that this is a misconception amongst many people. PEP is
ideal for private storage given that client developers would like to
be notificed if other resources change anything about the user.

Saying that PEP is only to distribute information to contacts is very
limiting.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo