[Standards] XEP-0030 and XEP-0115: node attribute on response

Magnus Henoch mange at freemail.hu
Thu Mar 29 15:53:53 UTC 2007

Section 3.2 of XEP-0030 (Service Discovery) describes sending a
disco#info query to a specific node of an entity.  The query element
in the response mirrors the node attribute of the request, although
this is not spelled out as a requirement in the text, as far as I can
see.

In my implementation of XEP-0115 for ejabberd, I send disco#info
requests to certain nodes of clients, but ignore all responses where
the node attribute is absent or doesn't match the request, in order to
avoid caching information about other nodes, returned in error by a
client that didn't properly examine the node attribute.  Is that
behaviour reasonable?

For the record, here are the base caps URLs of clients exhibiting this
behaviour, encountered during the first 30 minutes of PEP service at
jabber.se.  The Gajim people have fixed this in the development
version, I hear.

apple:ichat:caps
http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/caps
http://gajim.org/caps