[Standards] certification etc.

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Thu Mar 29 18:53:22 UTC 2007

Hi Boyd!

Boyd Fletcher schrieb:
> We actually implement servers in those environments as well. We are
> putting them in the backs of ruggedized SUVs and aboard ship and  they
> connect to other servers and clients via high frequency radio links or
> SATCOM. stream compression for S2S is just as important to use as C2S.

A "restricted environment" in my message was not meant to mean a server
behind a expensive/low-bandwidth link, but a server not being able to
support TLS compression.

I see no reason why a server in a SUV shouldn't be able to deploy TLS
compression for s2s links.

Also I want to note, that having it a required feature just means that
the software you get is able to support it. It will not mean, that it
will be deployed on every of your peers.

Don't get me wrong. I am not against deploying stream compression. I am
just not giving it enought weight, that I think it should be a required
thing for s2s communications.
Hopefully for any standard we define there are reasons why it should be
good to get it implemented. So if we make any standard a certification
requirement, we would not have to define any set, but could just tell
that a server has to support all standards we define. A server would
then just be certied as "supporting all standards defined at 2007-03-29".

Matthias