[Standards] XEP-0030 and XEP-0115: node attribute on response

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Mar 29 21:07:27 UTC 2007

Magnus Henoch wrote:
> Section 3.2 of XEP-0030 (Service Discovery) describes sending a
> disco#info query to a specific node of an entity.  The query element
> in the response mirrors the node attribute of the request, although
> this is not spelled out as a requirement in the text, as far as I can
> see.

Wow, do people actually read the text? I thought they just looked at the
examples. :)

But yes I think the node needs to be mirrored in the response (i.e.,
MUST). I suggest that we add the following text:

"If the request included a 'node' attribute, the response MUST mirror
the specified 'node' attribute to ensure coherence between the request
and the response."

> In my implementation of XEP-0115 for ejabberd, I send disco#info
> requests to certain nodes of clients, but ignore all responses where
> the node attribute is absent or doesn't match the request, in order to
> avoid caching information about other nodes, returned in error by a
> client that didn't properly examine the node attribute.  Is that
> behaviour reasonable?

Yes, I think so.

XMPP Standards Foundation