MUC bookmarks (was: Re: [Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Metacontacts)

Lukáš 'Spike' Polívka lukas.polivka at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 23:07:05 UTC 2007

On 3/29/07, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
> Mridul wrote:
> >
> > Ian Paterson wrote:
> >> PEP fixes iq:private's synchronization issues between multiple active
> >> resources of the same user.
> >
> > Yes, this is indeed a problem - especially for the well known namespaces
> > like bookmarks, etc which clients sometimes expect to be in sync.
> > We have faced this issue in the past too w.r.t conference bookmarks.
>
> I think there is a better way to store bookmarks to groupchat rooms: put
> them in your roster. It's just a JID, right? Here is how I see that
> working for rooms that I want to bookmark (not needed for transient
> joins, but helpful for rooms I care to revisit regularly):
>
> 1. I register with a room such as jdev at conference.jabber.org.

> 3. I approve the presence subscription request, thus adding jdev to my
> roster (probably sub "from" only is needed, but the subscription could
> be mutual). My client should know what kind of entity it is when I
> register with it, so it can add jdev to my "Groupchat Rooms" roster group.
>
> 4. If another one of my resources removes or modifies the item, the
> resource I'm using gets informed via roster push.
>
> 5. Added bonus: auto-join! When I log in, my server sends presence to
> jdev at conference.jabber.org (NOT jdev at conference.jabber.org/stpeter mind
> you). The room can now send me an invitation to join, which my client
> can either pop up in my face ("want to join jdev this morning?") or
> enable me to auto-join, based on user preferences.
>
> That flow requires the MUC server to do presence subscriptions for
> registered users, but I could add a room to my roster even without that
> functionality (but we wouldn't get the cool auto-join stuff).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Peter

Hello!

Just a thought -- how do you save preferred nickname or room password
(both are possible with current iq:private, AFAIK)? There might be
other desired per-room config options. What about rooms without
auto-join? You would not give them authorization? (Such room would not
get your presence and it would not send you the invitation in the
effect...)

Other than that, I guess I kind of like the idea. I see users asking
about having MUC rooms in rosters all the time... for whatever reason.
Of course, it still doesn't have to be represented in the UI this way
in the end.

Lukáš

IM (XMPP/Jabber/Google Talk): spike411 at jabber.cz
ICQ, AIM, MSN: Never ever!