[Standards] XEP-0030 and XEP-0115: node attribute on response

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 01:40:34 UTC 2007

Magnus Henoch wrote:
> In my implementation of XEP-0115 for ejabberd, I send disco#info
> requests to certain nodes of clients, but ignore all responses where
> the node attribute is absent or doesn't match the request, in order to
> avoid caching information about other nodes, returned in error by a
> client that didn't properly examine the node attribute.  Is that
> behaviour reasonable?

Yeah, I think so.

> For the record, here are the base caps URLs of clients exhibiting this
> behaviour, encountered during the first 30 minutes of PEP service at
> jabber.se.  The Gajim people have fixed this in the development
> version, I hear.
> http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/caps

We actually found that our lack of node in the reply was causing Magnus'
PEP code to break in unusual ways on our OLPC test ejabberd. This is
fixed in the branch of Telepathy which implements PEP support, which
should hopefully make it into our next release, so ignoring nodeless
replies won't harm anything here.

Regards,
Rob