[Standards] publish+configure again

Maciek Niedzielski machekku at uaznia.net
Fri Mar 30 11:06:48 UTC 2007

Time to write something in this thread, I guess.

I don't want to be against PEP automagic features, but sometimes too
much magic can hurt.

People who want publish+configure say that this protects from publishing
private information to too big audience. But it doesn't really help! As
Ralph said some time ago, configuration is done per node, not per item.
So it's pretty naive to think that that publish+configure can make the
item 100% safe. You can switch node to whitelist mode and publish your
secret item, but a moment later node can be switched to
open/presence/etc and your secret information will leak. Why would
another client change this? Because - for example - it may want to
ensure on start up that node's configuration is the same as last time.

--
Maciek Niedzielski
 Psi developer, XSF member
 xmpp:machekku at uaznia.net