[Standards] publish+configure again

Maciek Niedzielski machekku at uaznia.net
Fri Mar 30 11:38:14 UTC 2007

Pedro Melo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mar 30, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
>
>> People who want publish+configure say that this protects from publishing
>> private information to too big audience. But it doesn't really help! As
>
> Of course it does. with p+c I have the assurance that the item being
> published will be broadcasted with the settings that I'm sending in the
> same payload.
>
> What happens after that I don't really care, because the next time I
> need to publish, the configuration will be sent again.

Item is not broadcasted only when publishing. The last item is saved and
sent again when - for example - new subscriber becomes online.
Now, if node configuration is changed after publishing (just changed, by
using normal node configuration use case, not by p+c), and then someone
in your roster becomes online, PEP service will send the last item to it
if new configuration allows it, even if configuration at the moment of
publishing did not. At least this is how I understand it. So as long as
it is possible to configure a node without publishing new item that
replaces old one, p+c won't work.

--
Maciek Niedzielski
 Psi developer, XSF member