[Standards] Link-Lokal Messaging and PEP?

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Fri Mar 30 11:57:07 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 01:07:46PM +0200, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le vendredi 30 mars 2007, Andreas Monitzer a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > How should PEP-using protocols be handled when using XEP-0174 (link-
> > local messaging)? I'm working on getting gaim and Adium to move to
> > real XMPP via zeroconf. It'd be a shame if we couldn't use all those
> > nice new extensions that depend on PEP, like user chatting, user tune
> > and user gaming...
>
> Since there is no server, it's the responsibility of the client to send the
> message with the <event/> to all contact.
>
> That seems very sipmle to me, and should probably be a part of the XEP-0174

I must say that my knowledge about PEP is quite limited, so feel free to
correct my if i make wrong assumptions :)

That would seem simple, but has some drawbacks on efficiency.

Say we have N link-local messaging contacts on the network. If you update some
PEP node then you need to make/have N-1 tcp connections to send the update to
everyone. So if your all heavy PEP users that'll mean a _lot_ of babbling on
your local network..

For publishing stuff to your contacts, it seems much more natural to me to
DNS-SD. Which is much more efficient in spreading knowledge in the network.
Can't give you an easy answer on how to convert PEP nodes to TXT record
or maybe if we should even use one service per PEP node, although that feels
like a hack (Announce a service purely for information).

  Sjoerd
--
A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.
		-- P. Erdos