[Standards] Re: MUC bookmarks

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Mar 30 11:57:18 UTC 2007

On Fri Mar 30 12:13:43 2007, Kevin Smith wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2007, at 12:11, Dave Cridland wrote:
>> As far as XMPP goes, I'm pretty average, but I certainly do use
>> different nicks for different rooms - for personal chatter, I'm
>> just "dwd", but for IETF chatrooms and more work-orientated
>> things,  I use my full name.
>
> I don't have anything to add to this, but I did get a quick giggle
> out of the notion that it's pretty average to be in IETF chatrooms
> :)

Hmmm. Okay, so that specific example does have the effect of making
me look like an unusual kind of XMPP user, but I don't think I am.

I'd maintain that the most atypical part of my usage of XMPP is that
I use MUC at all. I'm pretty sure that my mother doesn't, for
instance.

For those XMPP users who *do* use chatrooms, I'd imagine it's
relatively normal that there are "personal" ones and "professional"
ones, and that these would typically imply different nicknames.

(The fact that most of my professional use of MUC happens to be
related to my IETF work is not a big deal - there's several others on
this list involved in various bits of IETF work, most of whom have
done much more than me.)

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/