[Standards] publish+configure again

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri Mar 30 12:18:41 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 12:28 +0100, Pedro Melo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mar 30, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
>
> > People who want publish+configure say that this protects from
> > publishing
> > private information to too big audience. But it doesn't really
> > help! As
>
> Of course it does. with p+c I have the assurance that the item being
> published will be broadcasted with the settings that I'm sending in
> the same payload.
>
> What happens after that I don't really care, because the next time I
> need to publish, the configuration will be sent again.
>
> If PEP implementors feel that this "reconfiguring" is to much work or
> heavy on the server side, then what about if we just say that
> configurations sent with p+c are transient and only apply to that
> item ? would it make it better?

Actually, no. Up to now, publish-subscribe implementations, including
PEP, have been designed around access control using node affiliations,
subscriptions and node configuration. Adding item level access control
makes things more complex.

Even when considering the configuration to be transient (for that
publish only), you still have to deal with how access control to
persisted items are to be solved. This includes item fetching (required
for the Persistent Storage use case) and last item publishing to new
subscribers. Also note that implementations may choose to persist more
than one item.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm