[Standards] publish+configure again

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Fri Mar 30 14:50:01 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Mar 30, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:

> Pedro Melo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mar 30, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
>>
>>> People who want publish+configure say that this protects from
>>> publishing
>>> private information to too big audience. But it doesn't really
>>> help! As
>>
>> Of course it does. with p+c I have the assurance that the item being
>> published will be broadcasted with the settings that I'm sending
>> in the
>> same payload.
>>
>> What happens after that I don't really care, because the next time I
>> need to publish, the configuration will be sent again.
>
> Item is not broadcasted only when publishing. The last item is
> saved and
> sent again when - for example - new subscriber becomes online.
> Now, if node configuration is changed after publishing (just
> changed, by
> using normal node configuration use case, not by p+c), and then
> someone
> in your roster becomes online, PEP service will send the last item
> to it
> if new configuration allows it, even if configuration at the moment of
> publishing did not. At least this is how I understand it. So as
> long as
> it is possible to configure a node without publishing new item that
> replaces old one, p+c won't work.

I see your point.

I'm used to other systems of pubsub in which the item behaves with
the configuration at the time of publishing. And it seems that PEP is
clearly not like that, hence my difficulties.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll see what this fact does for my
client.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo