[Standards] publish+configure again

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Mar 30 15:55:48 UTC 2007

Hi Remko!

Remko Tronçon wrote:
>> it worked, it will still work.
>
> Conversely, if someone breaks it, it will never work again (because no
> client will ever provide the possibility to
> delete/create/configure/reconfigure nodes).
>
> Anyway, I think we discussed the matter to death by now, and I don't
> feel like reading all the pros and cons all over again.

I understand your frustration. We can't go around and around on these
issues forever. I think we're having a good discussion here and that a
bit more patience will result in a clear understanding of the costs and
benefits of publish+configure, which we can document for all time in
XEP-0163 version 1.1. That will enable us to reach consensus and move
forward, where "consensus" may not be something that pleases everyone
but that will be consistent with our design guidelines. At the least, I
think everyone here is working in good faith and personally I'm
committed to finding a solution.

XMPP Standards Foundation