[Standards] Link-Local Messaging comments

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Mar 30 17:40:13 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Sjoerd Simons wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 11:47:16PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>
>>> status
>>
>> Might make sense to recommend. Also please document which status a
>> client which a status field has (salut currently assumes avail, gajim
>> offline)
>
> You mean the default status?

An implementor pinged me about this. Although the spec says the lack of
a status TXT record should be assumed as equivalent to "avail", I now
think it should be "offline". That is, you can be publishing TXT records
  but not be available for link-local communications. So we should
assume that someone is unavailable unless we positively determine otherwise.

XMPP Standards Foundation